Appreciating Innovation in the Fordham Community

This semester has certainly presented challenges for all of us at The Fordham Ram. With the suspension of in-person instruction for the remainder of the spring semester, we had to move production entirely to our website at this time. While we miss our print issues, we are proud of the continued effort of our editorial staff, business staff, writers, copy editors and everyone else who has contributed to the creation of Volume 102 thus far.

Though the transition has certainly not been without difficulties, we have been able to foster a sense of unity for the Fordham community that has meant so much during a time of social distancing.

Moving entirely online has brought a reinvigorated sense of innovation and creativity to the Ram. The Culture section launched the “Quarantine Diaries,” where many writers have shared their experiences in quarantine. Video games have given us inspirational wisdom, bagel-making broke up the dull days at home, and the grocery store has provided much needed face-to-face interactions.

The Sports section contemplated “A World Without Sports” (at least for the time being) and found joy in the reruns of classic games. The Opinion section has provided a necessary outlet for discussions about everything from the impact of COVID-19 social distancing on climate change to the potential end of snow days as a result of the innovations for online learning.

The News section, as always, has continued to provide the Fordham community with up-to-date information in this uncertain situation as well as reporting on the many online events being held. Our digital team has put its creativity to work in continuing to create new social media content and visual elements to strengthen our online presence.

The entire staff of Volume 102 has shared the music that is getting us through these lonely days. With Frank Ocean, Earth, Wind & Fire, Maggie Rogers, Stevie Wonder and so much more, “The Fordham Ram Quarantunes” playlist is sure to find you a new favorite song for your solo dance parties. 

In addition to the Ram, many other Fordham clubs and organizations have continued their presence online. The United Student Government (USG) has held virtual meetings to develop several important petitions and statements to facilitate assistance for the Fordham community amid troubling times. 

The Social Innovation Collaboratory Impact Initiative, USG Sustainability Committee and Students for Environmental Awareness and Justice (SEAJ) collaborated to develop a series of events in a virtual Earth Week

The Committee on Sexual Misconduct (CSM) transitioned its semesterly Week of Action online, which focused on domestic violence, an especially pressing issue during this time of quarantine. They completed their Clothesline Project, typically held outside of the McGinley Center, on Instagram instead. The Commuter Student Association similarly held its “Rams Got Talent” competition on its Instagram account. USG held its annual Meet the Candidates and election online for the 2020-2021 cycle. 

All of us at The Fordham Ram want to commend the innovation and adaptability of these Fordham organizations. The continuation of traditions and events has helped to maintain the spirit of Fordham, even while we are apart.

The suspension of face-to-face instruction has forced us all to accept what is necessary in order to protect public health. While we all long to return to our campus, perhaps no one has expressed this longing in as poignant a way as Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., president of the university. 

McShane has shared photo essays of the Rose Hill campus amid the pandemic, showcasing the spring beauty blooming on campus. In addition, his weekly pastoral messages have given comfort to the Fordham community at large, expressing unflinching honesty within his profound messages of hope.

The university also decided to postpone, rather than cancel, the commencement ceremony for the class of 2020. 

We especially want to commend Fordham University’s decisions to provide a partial refund on room and board for the student population as well as the option to designate any course pass/fail. Additionally, the university has demonstrated generosity through donations of personal protection equipment for frontline healthcare workers in the pandemic and offers to utilize campus space for state and federal use as medical facilities if necessary. 

Many campus resources have shifted their activities online as well. Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) continues to provide counseling for new and returning clients over the phone or through video calls. It is also providing a multitude of workshops and drop-in groups via Zoom to assist students who are struggling with the many transitions that COVID-19 has led to. 

Fordham’s Office of Career Services (OCS) is also continuing to provide resources to the Fordham community and remains open virtually. Staff members are providing virtual career counseling appointments as well as virtual employer information sessions. 

Fordham University, just like every university across the globe, is struggling with how to handle this pandemic. Despite many challenges, the administration has continued to provide updates while promoting the health and safety of all community members. The Fordham Ram wants to express our immense appreciation for the care with which the university has handled the situation. We have never been prouder to be Rams than right now. 

The Fordham Ram wants to extend our gratitude to everyone who has continued to read our articles as we have transitioned to the web. This will hopefully be our last issue exclusively online, but we will continue to update the website throughout the summer. 

We implore everyone to continue to follow government guidelines regarding social distancing. With that, we sincerely hope that our next editorial will mark the Ram’s return back to print.