Atlantic 10 Forms COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee

The Atlantic 10 and its member schools will decide when it is safe to resume team practices and athletic events. (Courtesy of the Atlantic 10 Conference)

Jimmy Sullivan, Sports Editor

On Friday, the Atlantic 10 Conference announced the formation of the COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee, which will guide the conference through the next few months as it attempts a safe return to sports. The committee will feature one person from each of the conference’s 14 member schools. Dr. Sean Lynch, an attending physician at New York Presbyterian, will serve as Fordham’s representative.

The Atlantic 10 is taking every precaution related to the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure the health and safety of all involved — from our student-athletes to support staff, coaches and our fans,” A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade said in a statement. “The insight and professional expertise of this committee will provide the A-10 with a strong knowledge base from which we can make thoughtful decisions regarding the safe return of college athletics within our championship sports.”

The league is already planning for a modified fall and spring slate, as it has already announced modifications to team schedules designed to minimize travel. The league has also reformatted seven of its league championships to a four-team bracket as opposed to a six-team or eight-team bracket, as is common with many of the league’s sports. 

As for Fordham, the school has yet to announce a plan to bring athletes back to campus. The A-10’s new medical committee will help guide Fordham in these decisions in all but one sport: football, as the Rams play in the Patriot League.